Capturing sound from LOTR movie?

Everything's On Topic here
Legolas

Post by Legolas »

Hi,

I have just been rewarded this Christmas with Adobe Audition and was wondering how I could capture sound/music/dialogue from the films (Lord of the Rings) directly (without the use of a microphone).

I was wondering how you capture the files that are on this site and the messageboards, since well, you seem to be a master at it.

(I can record music CDs directly, but the film is another issue...)

If you have time and could provide any information... I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks,
Legolas
ryanadc
Audible

Post by ryanadc »

Yes. I too have been wanting lately to be able to pull my own sounds from the movies. I would love to know names of programs and how to get them.
If ever you'd meet me / You wouldn't forget me.
If you never do, / You won't think I'm true.
EricaDraven

Post by EricaDraven »

Me three!! I love the movie Pitch BLack and I can't seem to find any sound clips. I would love the info on how to make my own. Please?!
Heidi
Gina
Site Admin

Post by Gina »

Well I have kind of answered this before...Topic: Audio Extraction Software

...but that's okay as I have changed some of my methods since then :)

Remember, what I do is a result of years of fiddling and informal learning, but here it is!

1- Purchase the DVD desired
2- Need a DVD-ROM drive on the computer
3- I now use the program DVD Audio Extractor (is that straightforward or what?), settings include divide by chapter for easy retrieval and format uncompressed WAV
4- Using Cool Edit 2000 I open up a chapter at a time and edit down to the quote I want. Details like fading in/out and more advanced tools come with practice and reading the help file!
5- I save the final file in full stereo and then change it to mono for online use (creates half the file size for downloading and for vocal stuff the difference is not noticeable)

That's it!

Of course Adobe Audition is the current successor to Cool Edit 2000 so congrats on your new software. I am actually going to be able to begin using Audition at work soon for a project involving digitizing old cassette tapes and look forward to see what's new.

To learn more about audio tracks and DVDs in general I highly recommend VideoHelp.com.
EricaDraven

Post by EricaDraven »

Thank you so much for your help!! You do such a GREAT job here, thanks for doing sound for us all!
Heidi
Legolas

Post by Legolas »

sorry if my question was previously answered, but...thanks for the new info!...

I have not used Audition very much as of yet, but with what I have seen and done with it so far is quite amazing...I think you will enjoy the program!

Thanks again,
Legolas
bestsoft666

Cheapestsoft

Post by bestsoft666 »

I suggest CheapestSoft dvd audio ripper.